“Ship fast.” “Get ship done.” Oversimplified dogma that offers little value to few companies outside of those that print its words on cups and posters. The art of managing product design is to keep it moving. Here are three criterion for features you’re thinking of building:
- Under what circumstances would it make sense to move the feature release to production?
- Under what circumstances would it make sense to kill the feature?
- GAME-CHANGERS – people will want to buy because of this.
- SHOW STOPPERS – people won’t buy if missing this.
- DISTRACTIONS – people don’t care.
Determine the criterion for each feature you want to build. Identify if it is a game-changer, show stopper, or distraction.
Keep it moving.
Credit: Julie Zhuo